- Academic background
- Professional experience
- Instructed courses
- Guest lectures
- Ongoing research projects
- Past research projects
- In the news
- EIS projects
- Continuing education
- Professional courses attended
- Certification of Professional Achievement in Data Sciences at the Columbia University Institute for Data Science and Engineering (IDSE), New York, NY. 2016
M.A. Geography/Specialization in GIS at the University at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY. 2008
- Advisor: Dr. Chris Renschler;
- National Center for Geographic Information and Analysis
B.A. Geography; State University of New York at Geneseo, Geneseo, NY. 2005
- Advisor: Dr. David Robertson;
- Graduated with Honors in Geography, Gamma Theta Upsilon
Carto (CartoDB) - New York, NY Solutions Engineer June 2016 – Present
- Contributing to pre-sales engineering, training, data science services/strategy, post-sales engineering (middleware & Flask application development) to support enterprise sales, renewals & upsells & preliminary work in contextualizing Machine Learning in platform. On-premise install guidance and database connectors (Hive, SQL Server, etc.) for key clients.
- Post-Sales Engineering/Professional Services setting up for middleware & pre-product integrated feature requirements.
- Filing issues & fixes in GitHub to platform analysis & data services libraries.
- GIS data processing (geoprocessing) using python, SQL, PostGIS (& other FOSS4G tools), database management & developing location apps for both clients & internally.
- Efforts in helping client campaigns & coordinated marketing efforts with > 1 million map views.
- Piloted program for identifying high profile new signups from strategic enterprises.
Columbia University - New York, NY Senior GIS Analyst, Geographer, Senior Staff Associate, Instructor February 2010 – May 2016
- GIS data processing (geoprocessing) using python programming, ArcGIS modelbuilder and extensions, database management and GIS data output QA/QC for epidemiology, public health and food environment projects.
- National Institutes of Health funded research projects that examine the built and social environment, physical activity, food environment, and health outcomes.
- Project design, publication review and managing of summer and semester GIS interns.
- Spatial database design, maintenance and implementation.
- Provide support for other Columbia research projects with spatial components, including a study of childhood asthma, tree allergens as well as studies examining neighborhood influence on health and social outcomes.
- Work to enhance GIS infrastructure and promote GIS and spatial analysis in teaching and research at Columbia University.
Barnard College - New York, NY Adjunct GIS Instructor January 2012 – Fall 2013
- Instructed required and non-required GIS course for Barnard Urban Studies majors and non-majors.
- Assisted students in senior thesis related GIS processing.
See Instructed Courses list.
QMSS Graduate Program at Columbia University New York, NY Adjunct GIS Instructor Fall 2010
- Co-instructed GIS course for Quantitative Methods in the Social Sciences (QMSS) masters students.
- See Instructed Courses list.
AECOM Environmental (formerly Earth Tech, inc.) - New York, NY GIS Analyst August 2007 – January 2010
- Environmental analysis; wetland impacts, storm water modeling and tax parcel analysis for Transit Mode Selection and Transit Mode Analysis for NYS DOT I-287/Tappan Zee Bridge DEIS.
- Noise and Air EIS projects for Camp Lejeune and Cherry Point.
- Analysis for the Empire State Development Corporation (Columbia University Rezoning): Manhattanville Neighborhood Conditions Study.
- U.S. Navy SWTR Environmental Impact Analysis (FEIS/FOEIS) and Naval Surface Warfare Center Dahlgren.
- Web programming and development for NYS DOT I-287/Tappan Zee Bridge Outreach Website and the Navy’s USWTR Outreach Website.
- Guam and CNMI Military relocation Base FEIS/FOEIS.
IVI Due Diligence, Inc. - White Plains, NY GIS Specialist/Project Manager March 2007 – August 2007
- Performed viewshed analysis for NEPA/Phase I project areas.
- Designed & Implemented GIS data storage schema.
- Prepared NEPA/Section 106 Cell Antenna Reports for Tel-Com Clients.
- Assisted Phase I Project Managers projects for lending institutions.
Bergmann Associates - Rochester, NY GIS Specialist/Technician May 2006 – January 2007
- Provided project support for ESRI Authorized Consultants, Instructors, and Developers.
- Created and managed extensive GIS database of Monroe County Apartment unit locations for 911 applications.
- Managed Orthoimagery database using GeoExpress and aerial map support for building and transportation engineers.
- Tested custom GIS applications.
- Implemented Geodatabase design for Ontario Co. CLSD.
Genesee Finger Lakes Regional Planning Council - Rochester, NY GIS Planning Intern Fall 2004 – Internship
- GIS/Watershed planning.
- Created building and impervious surface coverage for Arcade, NY.
- Local watershed law analysis for the region’s municipalities.
Westchester County Planning Department - White Plains, NY GIS Planning Intern Summer 2004 – Internship
- Updated county-wide zoning building regulations using Microsoft Access and ArcGIS.
- Compared municipalities in Croton Watershed’s zoning regulations and created text and charts to be included in the Croton Watershed Plan.
- Investigated municipality zoning map issues using GIS.
The Epidemiology and Population Health Summer Institute at Columbia University (EPIC) – Spring 2014 - New York, NY Geographic Information Systems (20-hour course)
The Epidemiology and Population Health Summer Institute at Columbia University (EPIC) – Spring 2013 - New York, NY Geographic Information Systems (20-hour course)
Barnard College – Spring 2013 - New York, NY Spatial Analysis: GIS Methods and Urban Case Studies -URBS V 3200
Barnard College – Fall 2012 - New York, NY Spatial Analysis: GIS Methods and Urban Case Studies - URBS V 3200
The Epidemiology and Population Health Summer Institute at Columbia University (EPIC) – Spring 2012 - New York, NY Geographic Information Systems (20-hour course)
Barnard College – Spring 2012 - New York, NY Introduction to GIS - URBS V 2200
The Epidemiology and Population Health Summer Institute at Columbia University (EPIC) – Spring 2012 - New York, NY Geographic Information Systems (40-hour course – co-instructed with James Quinn)
Columbia University - Quantitative Methods in the Social Sciences (QMSS) - New York, NY – Fall 2010 GIS Spatial Analysis - QMSS G 4070 (co-instructed with James Connolly, PhD)
Bergmann Associates – Summer 2007 - Rochester, NY - Teaching Assistant - ESRI’s Introduction to ArcGIS I & ArcGIS II
Barnard College New York, NY Barnard College: Life After College Series 2013.07.10 - Geographic Information Systems: An Introduction – for high school summer students.
Quantitative Methods in the Social Sciences (QMSS) New York, NY Columbia University 2012.10 - Geographic Information Systems: Shake Hands with GIS – for QMSS graduate students.
Institute for Social and Economic Research and Policy (ISERP) New York, NY Columbia University 2012.07 - Geographic Information Systems: An Introduction – for college/high school summer interns.
Institute for Social and Economic Research and Policy (ISERP) New York, NY Columbia University 2012.03 - An Introduction to GIS & Discussion – for Masters students and undergraduates - co-presented with James Quinn.
Barnard College: Urban Studies New York, NY 2011.04 – GIS applications of the Built Environment & Health Project - for GIS Methods and Urban Case Studies class
Google Scholar - https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=K6iTYsUAAAAJ&hl=en
ResearchGate - https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Daniel_Sheehan3
Residential Socioeconomic, Food and Built Environments and Glycemic Control in Individuals With Diabetes in New York City 2007–2013. Bahman P. Tabaei, Andrew G. Rundle, Winfred Y. Wu, Carol R. Horowitz, Victoria Mayer, Daniel M. Sheehan, Shadi Chamany. American Journal of Epidemiology, kwx300, https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwx300 Published: 17 August 2017
The Gluten-Free Diet Epidemic: Socioeconomic Factors Predict Google Search Trends More Than Health Related Factors. Monika Laszkowska, MD, Henna Shiwani, Julia Belluz, Jonas F. Ludvigsson, MD, PhD, Peter HR. Green, MD, Daniel Sheehan, MA, Andrew Rundle, MPH, DrPH, Benjamin Lebwohl, MD, MS. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cgh.2017.07.042
Street Audits to Measure Neighborhood Disorder: Virtual or In-Person? Stephen J. Mooney, Michael D. M. Bader, Gina S. Lovasi, Julien O. Teitler, Karestan C. Koenen, Allison E. Aiello, Sandro Galea, Emily Goldmann, Daniel M. Sheehan, Andrew G. Rundle. American Journal of Epidemiology, Volume 186, Issue 3, 1 August 2017, Pages 265–273, https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwx004
Neighborhood determinants of mood and anxiety disorders among men who have sex with men in New York City. Cerdá M, Nandi V, Frye V, Egan JE, Rundle A, Quinn JW, Sheehan D, Hoover DR, Ompad DC, Van Tieu H, Greene E, Koblin B. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology. 2017 Jun;52(6):749-760. doi: 10.1007/s00127-017-1379-8. Epub 2017 Apr 5.
Levels and determinants of tree pollen in New York City. Weinberger KR, Kinney PL, Robinson GS, Sheehan D, Kheirbek I, Matte TD, Lovasi GS. Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology (JESEE). 2016 Dec 21. doi: 10.1038/jes.2016.72. [Epub ahead of print]
Associations Among Neighborhood Characteristics and Sexual Risk Behavior Among Black and White MSM Living in a Major Urban Area. Frye V, Nandi V, Egan JE, Cerda M, Rundle A, Quinn JW, Sheehan D, Ompad DC, Van Tieu H, Greene E, Koblin B. AIDS and Behavior. 2017 Mar;21(3):870-890. doi: 10.1007/s10461-016-1596-2.
Quantifying Distance Overestimation From Global Positioning System in Urban Spaces. Mooney SJ, Sheehan DM, Zulaika G, Rundle AG, McGill K, Behrooz MR, Lovasi GS. Am J Public Health. 2016 Apr;106(4):651-3. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2015.303036. Epub 2016 Feb 18.
Use of Google Street View to Assess Environmental Contributions to Pedestrian Injury. Stephen J Mooney, Charles J DiMaggio, Gina S Lovasi, Kathryn M Neckerman, Michael DM Bader, Julien O Teitler, Daniel M Sheehan, Darby W Jack, Andrew G Rundle. Am J Public Health. 106(3):e1-e8 · January 2016.
Using GPS Data to Study Neighborhood Walkability and Physical Activity. Rundle AG, Sheehan DM, Quinn JW, Bartley K, Eisenhower D, Bader MM, Lovasi GS, Neckerman KM. Am J Prev Med. 2015 Nov 7. pii: S0749-3797(15)00424-9. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2015.07.033. [Epub ahead of print]
Measuring health‑relevant businesses over 21 years: refining the National Establishment Time‑Series (NETS), a dynamic longitudinal data set Tanya K. Kaufman, Daniel M. Sheehan, Andrew Rundle, Kathryn M. Neckerman, Michael D. M. Bader, Darby Jack and Gina S. Lovasi. BMC Res Notes (2015) 8:507 DOI 10.1186/s13104-015-1482-4
Development and Deployment of the Computer Assisted Neighborhood Visual Assessment System (CANVAS) to measure health-related neighborhood conditions Michael DM Bader, Stephen J Mooney, Yeon Jin Lee, Daniel Sheehan, Kathryn M Neckerman, Andrew G Rundle, Julien O Teitler. Health & place 31, 163-172
Abstract MP38: Local Population Income, Geographic Space and Interactions Predict Increased Presence of Physical Activity Facilities in New York City Metropolitan Area Census Tracts, 1990-2010 David M Wutchiett, Tanya K Kaufman, Daniel M Sheehan, Kathryn M Neckerman, Andrew G Rundle, Stephen J Mooney, Jeff Goldsmith, Gina S Lovasi Circulation 131 (Suppl 1), AMP38-AMP38
Comparing Nutrition Environments in Bodegas and Fast-Food Restaurants Kathryn M Neckerman, Laszlo Lovasi, Paulette Yousefzadeh, Daniel Sheehan, Karla Milinkovic, Aileen Baecker, Michael DM Bader, Christopher Weiss, Gina S Lovasi, Andrew Rundle Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics 114 (4), 595-602
Neighborhood physical disorder in New York City James W Quinn, Stephen J Mooney, Daniel M Sheehan, Julien O Teitler, Kathryn M Neckerman, Tanya K Kaufman, Gina S Lovasi, Michael DM Bader, Andrew G Rundle Journal of Maps, 1-8
Abstract P430: Spatial Proximity and Membership to Gyms or Related Facilities Jointly Predict Objectively Measured Physical Activity among Adults in New York City TK Kaufman, D Sheehan, KM Neckerman, A Rundle, GS Lovasi Circulation 129 (Suppl 1), AP430-AP430
Urban tree canopy and asthma, wheeze, rhinitis, and allergic sensitization to tree pollen in a New York City birth cohort Gina S Lovasi, Jarlath PM O’Neil-Dunne, Jacqueline WT Lu, Daniel Sheehan, Matthew S Perzanowski, Sean W MacFaden, Kristen L King, Thomas Matte, Rachel L Miller, Lori A Hoepner, Frederica P Perera, Andrew Rundle Environmental health perspectives 121 (4), 494
A prospective study of socioeconomic status, prostate cancer screening and incidence among men at high risk for prostate cancer Benjamin A. Rybicki, Andrew Rundle, Kathryn M. Neckerman, Daniel Sheehan Cancer Causes & Control 24 (2), 297-303
Procedure volume influences adherence to celiac disease guidelines Benjamin Lebwohl, Robert M Genta, Robert C Kapel, Daniel Sheehan, Nina S Lerner, Peter H Green, Alfred I Neugut, Andrew Rundle European journal of gastroenterology & hepatology 25 (11), 1273
Ongoing research projects:
- NYC DOH PAT/GPS Project
- NETs business data multi-tiered geocoding project
- Longitudinal hospital geocoding/census project
- NY Academy of Medicine: MSM Project
- ATN: HIV/AIDS Project
- Fragile Families geoprocessing/data reconciliation
Past research projects:
- RWJF Active Living Research (Andrew Rundle) Built Environment and Childhood Fitness and Overweight in New York City
- NEMS-R New York City
- NYC DOH CHS Project
- Project for Public Spaces: 8 City Farmer’s Market Study
- Detroit Neighborhood Health Study
- Detroit Prostate Cancer Study
- Partnerships for Environmental Public Health (PEPH): NIEHS: NIH
- ASPIRA: Analyzing Potential Community Garden Sites in the South Bronx
- Community District 4: Mapping Existing and Potential Sites for Alternative Food Outlets in Bushwick
- Transportation Alternatives: Analyzing the Need for Play Streets near Public and Private Schools in The Bronx
- NYC Parks Accessibility: Measuring Accessibility and Environmental Impediments
- The Point: Analyzing Community Access to Parks and Green Space in the South Bronx
In the news:
- 2014-07-09 - Voice of San Diego - Yep, Trolley Use and Density Are Linked
- Geoprocessing for population density estimates around station locations https://github.com/nygeog/pop_estimate
- 2010-10-20 - Security News Daily - Social Media Location Program Threatens Security
- Link no longer operational
- 2010-09-09 - WNYC NPR - Map Your Moves: Brian Lehrer Radio Program
Notable environmental impact statement (eis) projects:
- Tappan Zee Bridge/I-287 Corridor Project
- Environmental Services Camp Marine Corps Base Lejeune and Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point
- Guam Naval Base
- Undersea Warfare Training Range for the U.S. Navy
The Data Science Institute at Columbia University’s Certification of Professional Achievement in Data Sciences
Algorithms for Data Science CSOR 4246 - Columbia University Data Science Institute – Fall 2015
Exploratory Data Analysis and Visualization STAT W4701 - Columbia University Data Science Institute – Spring 2015
Probability and Statistics STAT W4700 - Columbia University Data Science Institute – Fall 2014
Management and Development of Water Systems ECIA W4100 - Columbia University Earth and Environmental Engineering – Spring 2009
Epidemiologic Analysis Using R - The Epidemiology and Population Health Summer Institute at Columbia University – Spring 2012
Introduction to Biostatistics - The Epidemiology and Population Health Summer Institute at Columbia University - Spring 2012
Professional courses attended:
- AWS Bootcamp: Architecting Highly Available Applications on AWS
- AWS Bootcamp: Getting Started with AWS - Technical
- ESRI’s Introduction to ArcGIS I
- ESRI’s Introduction to ArcGIS II
- National Preservation Institute’s Introduction to Section 106
- New York State Certified Asbestos Inspector (2007)
- ACEC Green Buildings in NY State LEED 2 Prof. Hrs.
On the Web: